Feb 21, 2011

Meet Kali

Name: Kali
Age:  23+ ;-)
From: Queens, NY  & The East Coast (Va, SC)
Founder of/Day Job:  HipHopHardBody.com, TheRythmJunkie.com & a Personal Trainer
Natural Since:  May 2004

You have some great hair there lady. What is your hair regimen?

It varies with what my hair needs and the season, but generally:

I do a thorough co-wash and thorough detangling once a week with moderate detangling throughout the week.

Summertime: wet & go’s every 1-3 days (I say wet & go because I’m just rinsing it, not ‘cleaning’ it everyday in the summer)


In the winter: 
·    I pre-poo by saturating my hair with conditioner/honey/water mix, detangle, and braid it up in about 8 braids (right now I have Aussie moist as the conditioner)
·    Put a plastic bag around my hair for a deep condition using body heat for an hour
·    Rinse it out one braid/section a time, follow it up with a cleansing cream from Hair Rules or Curls, rinse, then braid it back.
·    Lastly, I rake Giovanni Direct Leave in through my hair, put an Oil mix of Coconut/lemon (essential)/Olive Oil directly on my scalp with an applicator bottle, massage it in.
·    Add Castor Oil on my hair strands & especially on my ends, braid it in about 8 braids and tie it up. Castor Oil used to be too thick for my usage, but it is doing my hair justice this winter!
·    For day-to-day up-keep, I add Giovanni Leave in & a bit of castor or coconut oil & water as needed to my strands/ends

Do you believe natural hair takes a lot more time to manage?

Honestly, I don’t.  Obviously, with straight hair of a perm, there are less tangles.  But I used to roller set it, blow it, flat iron it, etc.  and that would take some time.

With my natural hair, detangling it  & cleansing it takes me 2 hours.  With a relaxer it took 2-4 hours to wash, roller set, then dry.  So different game, similar time frame.  Add in the process of getting a relaxer put in, etc… I’m GOOD!

Just like with a relaxer, there is a learning curve, but once you get it, it’s easy flowing.


What do you love and hate most about your natural hair?

I don’t hate anything about my hair,  I love it in it’s entirety, and am no longer ashamed of my texture.

I love it’s texture and it’s versatility.   I love how I can go from gym to the club with minimal drama and preparation, and still look fly.

I love SHOCKING people when they get up close to my hair and say “wait? Those are curls!” One person at a time I’m making blacks, whites, and everything in between understand our hair if they inquire.

I also love connecting with little girls who are natural, and letting them know that they’re hair is just fine the way it is.


What should we expect from you and your hair in the future?

The goal is for my hair and I (lol) to live in abundance, happiness, and success.  I am working as a Fitness Model/spokesperson, and at the forefront of a Music brand, so expect to see us looking healthy, fit, and rhythmically inclined ;-)

Where can you be found online?
Check me out on HipHopHardBody.com, TheRhythmJunkie.com, and on Facebook and Twitter.  Drop me a line, and I will hit you back ;-) Love my natural Dolls!

Fitness: Hip Hop Hard Body.com
Music/Commentary: TheRhythmJunkie.com
Twitter.com/HipHopHardBody or @RhythmKali
Facebook: Kali Blocker & fan pages: Hip Hop Hard Body, The Rhythm Junkie

How can we support you?

If you’re in NYC, I’m sculpting bodies out here ;-) Come join the movement!
If you know of any dope artists that are worthy of mention, shout me out on Rhythm Junkie. 
If you know someone who is doing their thing in their career and with their individual physiques/health, put them on blast on the Hip Hop Hard Body Facebook page.


.

4 comments:

  1. great interview. She's a powerhouse and I liked the edit on the questions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. nice body, nice hair, double whammy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Her body is gorgeous, to bad she's not in the Ga area. I would get my body in tip shape that for sure. Her hair looks good as well

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...