May 23, 2013

Tashella's "Afro-centric" Style


Tashella's natural hair in an Afro style

Name: Tashella Beckett
From: Forest City in  North Carolina, USA
Natural Since:  September 25, 2011
Occupation:  College Student


KiK:  Why did you go natural?
Tashella: I was experiencing a lot of hair damage from relaxers and I wanted to improve the health of my hair, so I decided to do the big chop instead.


Tashella's natural hair in an Afro hairstyle

KiK:  What is your hair regimen?
Tashella: I do not do much at all to my hair. I finger detangle, spritz with water daily, moisturize with my mixture of raw shea butter and olive oil, and I use Cantu Shea butter leave-in conditioner every three days.


KiK:  How do you "keepitkinky" and resist the urge of processing your hair?
Tashella: I think about the hair damage I experienced while processing my hair and the drastic improvement of the health of my hair after going natural. After becoming natural, I've learned that it's not just being "natural", but accepting and embracing who God created me to be. Kinky hair, big lips, and brown skin, are all features I was born with and altering them in my opinion, is not being true to who I really am... a black woman.

Tashella's curly afro

KiK:  A lot of people with your hair type struggle with detangling. Do you have any tricks to share?
Tashella: Yes! Make sure your hair is damp when detangling, and use your fingers. Combs cause breakage and its just an easy way to get over with detangling. Take your time. It's your hair and you want to do what is best for it.

Tashella's natural hair in her staple Afro style


KiK:  What is your main styling method and why?
Tashella: I love my afro, because you get to see it in its natural state, kinky and big. I do not like to use products that attempt to alter my natural fro, like gels, to give that "oh so desired look" (wavy hair).


Tashella, thanks for sharing your hair routine with the KiK readers. I hope that you continue to enjoy your hair as much as you do now.

Want to know more about Tashella? Connect with her on Facebook at www.facebook.com/LelTashea


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...