Sep 30, 2013

Aquayla From Texas and Her Coloured Natural Hair

Aquayla with brightly coloured natural hair

Name:  Aquayla Gadsden
From:  Houston, TX
Natural Since:  April 5, 2012
Day Job:  Medical Transcriptionist (working from home)

Aquayla with brightly coloured natural hair in multiple tones

KiK: Why did you go natural? 

Aquayla: Well I guess in my own way I always wanted to go natural, but I never actually knew what natural was. I loved seeing girls with curly hair. My favorite was Freddi (Cree Summer) who played on “A Different World”. I didn’t realize that my hair could be curly too if I stopped putting relaxer it. LOL. One day I was on YouTube and I ran across a natural hair video, then I watched another, and another. I was inspired and excited. I transitioned and then did my big chop. The rest is history…


Cree Summer of "A Different World Cast"

KiK: How do you color your hair? 

Aquayla: I color my hair at home. I’ve been coloring my hair since right out of high school. If I’m using permanent colors, I’ll use Clairol’s Textures and Tones because its ammonia-free which is safer for the hair. If I’m taking my hair to a bright color, I usually have to bleach it first. I use a 30 volume bleach (usually the Manic Panic Lightening Kit). After I get it to a blonde, I’ll add a colorful rinse on it. My favorite are the brands Special Effects and Manic Panic. I also stay away from styling products that have color in it so it won’t react with or dull my bright-dyed color….this also includes brown clays.

Aquayla with brightly coloured natural hair in multiple tones

KiK: How often do you dye your hair? 

Aquayla: I don’t really have a set timeframe on when I color. I just do it when the mood hits me, when the season changes or if I’m sick of seeing black roots LOL. I try to give my roots AT LEAST a two month time frame before I bleach. So far in 2013, my hair started red; then I went dark purple; then I took the front and did purple roots with hot pink on the ends; then hot pink and black; then hot pink/turquoise/purple and black; then back to hot pink and purple; and now I’m back hot pink and black. Who knows what tomorrow will bring LOL.


Aquayla with blue-coloured natural hair


KiK: Wow. LOL. That's a lot. Coloring is said to be very damaging. How do you keep your hair healthy? 

Aquayla: It can be damaging if you don’t listen to your hair. I’m not a professional hair colorist, but I listen to my hair. If you’re not sure what to do, I recommend going to a stylist who specializes in hair color. For those who are color treated, they have to get a regimen especially for their color treated hair. I deep condition my hair every week. I do protein treatments every other week. I don’t let my hair get dry or brittle. I keep my ends trimmed. I moisturize and seal. I don’t bleach over hair that was previously bleached within a 6 month period. For the most part, I try to only bleach my roots. I change my colors by changing the rinses (temporary colour that washes out over time) instead of using permanents all the times. 

Aquayla with Natural Hair Dyed Red

KiK: A lot of people say that you texture changes when you start dyeing natural hair. Do you find that your texture/curls has loosened since you started coloring? 

Aquayla: The hair that I dyed with permanent dye hasn’t changed in texture. The hair that I have bleached is slightly looser. The difference is so slight that if I put my hair in a wash-n-go, it still shrinks the same length as my unbleached hair. I don’t go higher than a 30 volume of bleach to insure that I don’t loose my curl pattern. FYI:  If you’re bleaching and you see your hair starting to go straight, wash it out IMMEDIATELY.



KiK: What is the most important thing about natural hair that you wish someone could have told you in the beginning of your natural hair journey? 

Aquayla: I wish somebody would’ve told me no matter how many different products I buy, my hair wont look like hers, or hers, or hers. My hair is an individual with different textures, kinks and coils. Take your time to get to learn her and what she likes.


KiK:Thanks for the interview ! 

Keep up with Aquayla on Youtube at  youtube.com/user/QuayTheCanaryDiamond. Also follow me on Instagram at Quaythecanarydiamond.



______________________




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...