Oct 6, 2013

Transitioning Again: 0-5 Months Journey

Transition Start Date - May 1, 2013 (about 2 weeks post relaxer)

I've transitioned to natural or cut my hair off quite a few times in my life. I'm one of those people who are always craving change and love to use my hair as a creative outlet. Well, I planned to stay relaxed for a year but I didn't last. I had my last relaxer near May 1, 2013 and I thought, since I've pretty much mastered the art of transitioning, I'll share my journey with you.

2 Months Post Relaxer

At about two months post-relaxer, not much changes. I do however start to do more roller sets, bantu knot outs, twist-outs and braid-outs at night to keep my hair detangled and stretched at nights. The truth is, maintaining healthy relaxed hair is not much different from maintaining healthy natural hair. I would moisturise with a water based leave-in and seal the moisture in with a light oil at nights then prep my hair for the next day's style. I still deep condition every 1-2 weeks.

3 and 1/2 Months Post-relaxer - Transitioning Hairstyle

3 Months Post-relaxer - Transitioning Hairstyle

At 3 months post-relaxer, I started doing more updos. This was the peak of summer and they allowed me to keep cooler since my hair was away from my neck. I also experimented with braid-outs that allowed me to kind of have that big haired natural look that was something also fun for the summer. Braid-outs are a great way to mentally prepare you for the look of natural hair. Pictures of  a few of those styles are above.

Check out a video in about month 3 of my new hair journey where I spoke about my decision to transition.


At four months, I started to get bored with daily styling so I began doing styles that would last me 1-2 weeks like the one below.

Low -Manipulation Protective style on Transitioning Hair
I also got my hair done at the salon so that I just didn't have to deal with it. It have me a fun break from daily styling. If you ever begin to struggle on your natural hair journey, go to a salon until you feel like doing your hair again.

Braids Extensions at 5 months Transitioning to Natural Hair

Now, at 5 months, things are becoming a little more challenging. Daily manipulation is causing a little more stress on the line of demarcation (where the relaxed hair meets the natural new growth) so I get a little more breakage if I am not very gentle.  I therefore decided to play with a style using a new natural-looking type of hair. Because my real hair is almost arm pit length at this point, my braids are pretty long. We didn't cut artificial hair so I ended up with waist length hair! (lots of pics and tutorials coming soon).  Check out the type hair I used below.

Sweetest Girl Afro Kinky Braid Hair purchased at Kris Kut in Boulevard Centre, Kingston, Jamaica

Watch the video of me talking about this new hairstyle below.



So, the journey has been very smooth so far. Let's see what's in store for styling this hair and the challenges I experience in the months to come.

3 comments:

  1. I love the styles you've been using the transition! Especially the under braid:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks True Aquarius! I'll start doing more tutorials on the blog too so stay tuned.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...