Aug 26, 2009

Pretty Dimples on Becoming a Hair Stylist!

With the state of the global economy, many people are starting either a side hustle or finding a new profession. Are you tired of doing all your friends' hair for free? Perhaps you could become a part-time or even full-time hair stylist.

I spoke to stylist PrettyDimples from YouTube to get you some advice on how you can get your money-making hairstyling on in a professional and legit way.

Q. How can I choose a good cosmetology school?
A. Do your research. Just because it has a big name such as Dudley or Paul Mitchell does not mean you will learn. Find out a school that focus on state board regulations and help you to get your license.

Q. Where can I find a good course to be trained to do natural hair?
A. Unfortunately there are not a lot of natural hair classes or courses (that I know about). You will have to do your own research like YouTube or Google and find out different techniques others have tried.

*KiK Tip*
There are lots of tutorial DVD's like Braids by Breslin that you can use learn how to create braids and natural hairstyles.

Q. What kind of certification will I need?
A. You need to be certified as a hair designer or a cosmetologist and you will get your license after you pass state board exam.

Q. Are there any rules about doing hair at home? What legal certification do I need?
A. There are regulations as far as doing hair in your own home. It depends on the state in which you live and you will have to research your state law.

Q. Is there money in doing natural hair only?
A. I think there can be money in doing natural hair only but you have to promote yourself. Natural hair is just starting to be big and depending on where you live it can be big. Nowadays, people are starting to cut back and in my opinion natural hair is work so I charge for my work but some may not want to pay. But if you promote yourself well you can make it happen.

Q. Is it best to do both relaxed and natural?
A. I like to do all fields of hair, white, black, Spanish, natural or relaxed because it expands your knowledge an lets you out of the box of just one field.

Q. Any tips on finding a job or a work station in a salon?
A. Most salons will pretty much hire you if you have your license. There is no resume needed or even experience. A tip would be to go somewhere where they have a high volume of walk-in clients so you can get your feet wet.

Are you ready to get your side hustle on? Start with evening classes to get your training. There little you can't do with determination and drive!

Keep It Kinky!

12 comments:

  1. this is my goal for 2009!!! thank you for the tips! i do have a question and maybe you can add it. what about paying for the education? are their scholarships or grants out there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great! I hope you achieve your goal. I could ask her but I don't know if she knows. I'm sure you can find information by searching Google or by calling around at the different schools to see if they have any special scholarships or programs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post! I would also suggest that people don't fall into the trap of not charging what your worth - consider your time and talent - visit salons and check out their prices before quoting way too low prices for friends and relatives.

    Be a walking billboard and market yourself - when someone asks 'Where did you get your hair done,' or say 'I like your hair,' hand them a business card :o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Laquita. Those are great tips!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi!

    This post has nothing to do with Pretty Dimples.. It's just to congratulate you on your great, encouraging, provocative blog, and to inform you that I just finished reading all your entries. (Not an easy task with a demanding 12mth old.. it took me 3 days!!)

    My last perm was late March 2008, and it had nothing to do with empowering myself, or anything. I was actually natural from 2000 to 2004, and it was a breeze cuz my mum took care of my hair. I'm just as old as you, but you know how close-knit Caribbean families can be: I'm Trini. However, I started back relaxing in 2004 to take a break from all the tangles.

    Got married to a Dane in 2006, and discovered that Danish water is really hard, (the relaxer has a hard time doing it's job, with all the chalk in the water), and that Danish hairdressers are really expensive, and not too skilled at styling my hairtype. I tried doing it myself, but with lame results, and my last attempt was March 2008 (8mths pregnant), and it SO didn't work. So.. now I'm natural (allowed it to grow out with no hurrah.. Danes don't know what my hair's supposed to look like ANYway!) cuz it's simpler. When I go home i stock up on braids, and every so often, I'll do a biiiiiiiig cornrow braided style, or kinky twists.

    Anyways.. enough of the rambling.. Thanks for your blog, and thanks for the vlogs that led me to your blog in the FIRST place! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. super informative! i'm all for natural hair stylists! we need some people to go out and open all out natural hair salons

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Verliz,

    That's great to hear. It's so funny, because I'm working on a post about hard water and natural hair for either Saturday or Sunday. Anyway, I'm glad you like the channel and very flattered. I hope you keep up and tell your friends etc.

    Keep it Kinky!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have been wanting to got to school for hair not lookin at this i just might go for it!! this was a great post!! and i fallow pretty dimples on youtube too! =)

    ReplyDelete
  9. oh wow!
    fabulous advice!!
    dimples is definitely talented enough!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello, I'm a newbie here and I saw your blog article here and I like it. Its really beautiful thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great post! Tnx.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I been natural for a year, I've chopped 4 times within the year, I love my hair. I'm finished chopping. : )...I'm currently in the process of taking my State Board Exam. I'm 49 yrs old and took a 14 month Cosmetology class and worked full time. I want to open an all Natural Salon... Thanks Dimples, I've watched you on YouTube. Your Black is Beautiful...

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...