Jan 12, 2011

The Spice Island Prince


Name: Spice Island Prince
Age: 26
From: St. Georges, Grenada
Work: Founder of Natural Love/Employed by the man
Natural Since: Out the Womb
Locked Hair Since: September 2007

Why did you decide to get locs?
It wasn’t quite a decision it was more of why didn’t I get locs sooner? Ever since I was a youth, I loved and I wanted locs. I always envisioned myself with a head full long luxurious ebony cotton, flowing down my back looking mighty and regal. My eyes brightened seeing people who embraced what was naturally given. I admired people who weren’t afraid to show there nappyheadedness - The ones who held there heads high with a crown of matted hair. Showing the world that they were anything but the stereotypical misconceptions. That alone was the reason for me to cultivate my own locs and to partake on my own journey.

Have you been treated differently as a result of your hairstyle choice?
I've gotten the weird looks and the typical questions, “is that all your hair” “can you comb it out” “how long do you plan on growing your hair” but other than that I’ve been treated pretty much the same as before I had locs.


What is your hair regimen?
I wash my hair every 2 to 4 weeks with shampoo that I concoct in my mad scientist 
laboratory in my basement. I retwist my hair with a homemade water based hair gel. I Mositurize my hair and scalp with a mixture of light oils. 

What do you love and hate most about your natural hair? 
I love everything about my locs even when I look like a raggamuffin. I dont hate anything about my locs, I just find it funny that every time a person sees my locs they want to put on an island accent “aye mon!” 
What should we expect from you and your hair in the future? Will you ever chop the locs off?
In the future you should expect to see me growing along with my locs. I don’t believe I will
be cutting my locs.
 
Where can you be found online? 
http://public.fotki.com/SpiceIslandPrince/

What advice would you give to men who are considering locking their hair?
Be patient, dont compare your locs to anyone elses because everyone’s locs are uniquely made. Less is best, and clean hair locks faster than dutty hair.

3 comments:

  1. Nice! and hes cute

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was quite refreshing to read about one of my favorite Fotkians. Love his locs, loved the feature. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Black PLaneteer. I'm glad you liked it. He has a fabulous personality and beautiful locs.

    And yes, Nicki, he's not bad looking at all. lol.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...