May 16, 2010

Lina from Washington DC.

KiK: When did you go natural and why?
Lina: I went natural in 1998 after I had a really bad braider burn my hair while sealing my braided extensions with a lighter. I was tired of people messing up my hair. I decided to take a break for a year from relaxers, and just never went back :)

KiK: What have you loved most about being natural?
Lina: I love how simple things like a headband or clip can change a natural hairstyle.

KiK: What have you liked least?
Lina: Trying to figure out the best way to wash and detangle, my hair - particularly the detangling part.

KiK: What's your best advice for people transitioning to natural and staying natural?
Lina: BE PATIENT with your journey. Also dont assume you know your true natural texture until you cut off the relaxer and find products that really work with your natural hair. Things are always subject to change! It will evolve and you have to rediscover at times your reasons for going natural. Sometimes you will need to keep it simple and other times you need to spice it up.. This is a hard one to answer because I have come to this point a few times.. But I will say that sticking with what works and doing a good amount of research is helpful.

KiK: What is your favorite natural hair care website or forum?
Lina: I like roshini's hair blog - www.glamazini.com; i saw her site early on in my journey. I have so many other blogs that I enjoy, but I will say my fotki friends albums trump them all! You know who you are...

KiK: What are your top three products and why?
Lina: My top 3 products right now (as things change for me too)
  1. Shea Butter -- This is a great base moisturizer for me, and I add other oils to help make the butter more creamy and absorbable for my skin and hair.
  2. Coconut Oil -- I loove this oil - it is super moisturizing and strengthening to my hair, and its one of those oils that I can add to any dud product and get good results. Monoi oil, which is coconut oil infused with a tahitian flower, is my newest fave.
  3. Henna Powder -- This is a great herb that I use to help strengthen, condition and detangle my hair. I cant really say enough about how henna has strengthened my hair and reduced my shedding over time. It has really helped make my hair healthier.

Thanks for sharing Lina!

10 comments:

  1. Lina thanks for being an inspiration to all of us and thanks for sharing your journey.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i LOVE lina! every time she speaks, i learn something new

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yep. She's doing a pretty amazing job with her hair.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LLOVVVEEEEEE Lina's hair! -EbonyPrincessH

    ReplyDelete
  5. awww you guys are gonna make me cry!! Thanks KIK for the awesome opportunity to share :)

    with a hug and a smile,

    Lina40

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Lina. It's my pleasure and honor. You know I've been a fan of your hair for a long time. Thanks again for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lina is sooooooo great! I love her and her beautiful hair!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree with everyone here. I love Lina's hair. Her twists and loose hair never let me down.

    ReplyDelete
  9. HOW do you get your twists so neat?? Boooootiful!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...