May 27, 2011

Featuring Boutique by Bandeaux

Enjoy the conversation interwoven with images of beautiful designs from Boutique De Bandeaux's accessories collection.

Red La Grande Dame Headband

Company Name: Boutique De Bandeaux
Started In: 2009
Sold on: Etsy.com
Based In: (State, Country)
Designed by: Chanel

BB: I was searching for hair accessories to fit my then huge Afro when I came across your site. Tell me, how did Boutique De Bandeaux begin?

BDB: I could not find hair accessories to complement my natural style that did not snag or interfere with my thick curly hair and decided to design some for myself. I was stopped and asked often, where did you get that headband? I discovered there was a need for the functionality as well as the style of my product and it pleased me to create the designs of Boutique De Bandeaux.

Black La Dame Headband

BB: Were your formally trained in the field of design? You clearly have a very refined and
sophisticated, artistic eye.

BDB: I attended the H.S. of Art and Design so I was trained in fashion design but I have always had a natural flair for art. I had early exposure to art and design and was encouraged to express myself. I painted and made clothes and accessories from a very young age. I am also a product of ancestry. My grandmother was a talented seamstress, my grandfather was a tailor and my mother and her siblings are artists and designers…so you see, it is in the DNA.

White La Marie Headband

BB: Hahaha. It sounds like it is. What, or who is your inspiration?

BDB: My inspiration is a mixture of classic and whimsy. I love the themes of nature and use a lot of floral and rich textures. I look up to Mae Reeves who used floral themes as well as feathers and rich materials  that I love.  Ms. Reeves was honored last year by the Smithsonian, not only for her designs but also for her fortitude in creating a viable business for herself in the 1940’s as an African American entrepreneur.  I look up to Coco Chanel who started as a milliner and whom I am named for and I also admire the British milliner, Phillip Treacy, known as the “royal hat maker” who has made hats for Lady Gaga, Britney Spears and Kate Middleton and  I love that “out there style!”

Brown Camille Headband

BB: I love your use of texture and rich colours. Not everyone necessarily goes for whimsy though so who do you design for?

BDB: I design for women who love beautiful accessories, women who embrace their hair and wish to protect, enhance and show off its beauty, particularly African American women but also anyone who doesn‘t mind getting a lot of attention and complements.

Blue La Amerindienne Headband

BB: Hahaha. I like that. Your pieces are definitely attention grabbers. As far as your business, what has been your biggest struggle with the line so far?

BDB: The creative part is the real joy but the business end is a challenge. My biggest struggle with the line so far, has been consistency with suppliers. I am finding that I am at the point where I must have an inventory in order to keep the line running smoothly. And perhaps more help to fulfill orders during busy seasons  Of course, the business end includes the financial accountability. That is a chore.

Black Crin Eloise Headband

BDB Designer, Chanel
BB: It sounds like you're expanding and things are going well so where do you see Boutique De Bandeuax in the next five years?

BDB: I see BDB as an expanded line available in shops locally and around the country. I have already been approached by several boutiques and look forward to working with them.

BB: Fantastic! I hope I hope you expand quickly and wish you all the best in your business. 

If you want to see more of Boutique De Bandeaux by designer, Chanel?  Visit:

http://www.facebook.com/LaPetiteBoutiqueDeBandeaux
http://www.etsy.com/shop/BoutiqueDeBandeaux

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...